Sunday 28 April 2013

Sticky Garden Wall

Raahub Yasar!!!

Today, the plan was to make tricky word dominos (Found here http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2013/01/sight-word-dominoes-speed-racer-game.html) , which we did, but I the wrong number of dominos and it's kept blocking the game, so we abandoned it and moved onto plan b which was much more fun. 

I got the idea from another page on the No Time For Flashcards Site (find the original post here http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2013/04/alphabet-flower-garden.html) . It's a great site with lots of simple learning activities, normally based around art and crafts. 

I call is a sticky garden, but you can create any wall mural using the same idea and I'll probably do other variations of this soon as it went down well. But you basically get sticky back plastic (also called contact paper or cover film), stick it to a plain wall with the sticky side facing outwards then let your child stick things to it. 

I cut out flower heads, stems, butterflies and circles, squares and triangles in different colours of paper, but you could let your children cut their own shapes. 

I added the grass at the bottom of the plastic to give it a garden feel :-) 

If you use a good quality paper, they can stick them, then pull them off and stick them somewhere else, just like reusable stickers. I've only just put mine up so I don't know how long it lasts, but I'll probably take it down in a few days or let them create another type of scene on it like an ocean, space or jungle. 

Here are some pictures of them sticking the pieces on then the end of the first stage. They went onto use felt tip pens to draw faces on the people and butterflies they made.








The whole activity, including getting muldud involved in helping me put the plastic up, took about an hour, 20 mins set up and 40 mins of them playing with it before they drifted off to other things, which is pretty good. 

If you do one, let me know how it goes

Hatap yasar

Mut / Leah




No comments:

Post a Comment